Thursday, September 15, 2011

About Violet's Light


Violet's Light is an event created to take place every year on the evening of October 15th. This event is in honor of my niece, Violet Evelyn Ochoa who was born still on 8/12/2011.

After the devastating news of Violet's passing, I actively searched for ways to honor her memory. I discovered that October is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness month, and October 15th is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day. I thought that there must be something that would be taking place on that day, where I could go and honor her memory. To my surprise, there are absolutely no events that I could find in Northeast Ohio to commemorate that day. I called both of the local children's hospitals, and spoke with their event coordinators. They both told me that they had not even heard of that day. I called and spoke with the secretary of the mayor of Willoughby. She also said that our community had no known events for this particular day. I searched surrounding communities, online groups and forums, and still found nothing. So, Violet's Light was created to not only honor my beautiful niece, but also give a time of remembrance to members of my community, and all communities in Northeast Ohio who have suffered pregnancy or infant loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment